The time, care, and money you invest in your Invisalign aligners will pay off over a lifetime. For best results, you need to take care of your teeth and your aligners daily. Some patients are careless with their Invisalign trays, resulting in expensive replacements or a less than desired experience. Here are some tips for caring for your Invisalign trays to help you achieve a beautiful smile.
How to Clean Your Invisalign Trays
Caring for your Invisalign trays is vital to your success in the program. No one wants to wear a dirty, smelly retainer and you must wear the trays daily in order to be successful. So, a major factor in your success is keeping those trays clean and sparkling.
You already know to brush and floss your teeth at least twice a day to keep your teeth and gums healthy. You also need to clean your Invisalign trays every time you brush your teeth. Avoid cleaning your trays with regular toothpaste, as it is somewhat abrasive and could potentially scratch the surface of your trays. Invisalign also makes specialized cleaning crystals to gently clean your trays. Denture cleansers and brushes are also a gentle and effective alternative to regular toothpaste. Finally, always be sure to rinse your trays in cool to warm water. Overuse of hot water may warp your trays over time.
How to Keep Your Invisalign Aligners Clean
- Remove the Invisalign trays before eating. Eating while wearing your trays can cause damage to the tray, scratches, and food stains. You may also end up with food trapped under the tray.
- Avoid drinking coffee, tea, or any drink that could stain the tray. This includes all drinks other than water. Remove the tray before drinking or, if you must drink, rinse the tray out immediately after.
- When you remove your trays, put them in a dish of cool to warm water and a gentle cleanser. Let them soak until you are ready to put them back in, then rinse once more before using. Do not soak them in mouthwash; it could stain the tray.
- When removing a tray and away from home, place your aligner into its plastic case. Don’t risk losing it or accidentally discarding it. Replacement trays are expensive and set your treatment back.
- Always use cool to warm water – around body temperature ideally. Very hot water can soften the tray and distort its shape, making it unusable.
Cleaning Solutions for Your Invisalign Aligners
It is important that you use non-abrasive cleaners that will clean the trays gently, without any harsh chemicals that could cause corrosion or pitting of the retainer. Your Chicago dentist at Westend Dental would be happy to make recommendations for cleaning solutions, if needed. You can also use any denture cleanser or a baking soda and water mixture to brush or soak your trays.
Westend Dental Can Get You Started
For more information about Invisalign aligners and how to care for them, call or contact Westend Dental today. Your Lincoln Park dentist will help you determine the right treatments for you and get you started on the path to a beautiful smile.